If you’re anything like me, you likely have a really hard time finding the motivation to work out. Don’t get me wrong, I love being active! From bike rides and walks around my neighborhood to the occasional hike, I genuinely enjoy taking part in physical activities. I just find it a little more challenging to get in the right mindset for a calorie-busting, hardcore workout.
Here are some ways to get motivated for serious exercise that I have found really helpful:
- Find a gym with TVs on the treadmills and only allow yourself to watch your favorite primetime show while at the gym.
- Plan workouts with a friend. It can be more fun and motivating if you have someone else who is holding you accountable and that you will disappoint if you don’t show up for the workout.
- Keep track of your progress. Tracking how much you weigh or what you are eating and your workouts can be a great way to keep yourself honest. Some of my friends recommend using MyFitnessPal to track meals and Nike+ to track runs and calories burned.
- Start eating more protein! It gives you more energy, which will make it easier to make it to the gym.
- Follow Instagram pages and Pinterest boards that are all about fitness that will inspire you to get out of bed in the morning.
- Take baby steps to get you to the workout. First, make yourself get out of bed and into the car. Drive to the gym and then go in. Lock up your bag and get to the treadmill. Focus on just the next thing you have to do without the big picture.
- Give yourself a (non-food) reward that will make you work for it. Maybe for every week you do 4 workouts in a row, you get a $25 towards shopping or going out.
- Make sure you are going to the gym that is closest to you, so it is as easy as possible for you to get there. If it’s hard to get to, it will be that much harder for you to get motivated to go.
- Change into your workout clothes. Even if you haven’t convinced yourself yet to go, just being in your workout clothes will put you that much closer to joining.
- Consider how much healthier, positive, and energized you will feel after you’ve completed your workout! That natural high one gets from working out is no joke!
How do you like to get motivated for serious workouts?
Featured Image: MilitaryHealth via Flickr CC