I often find myself lacking in energy during this time of year. Maybe it’s because of the slowly cooling weather as we move closer to winter, or the darker mornings and early sunsets. Whatever the reason, it’s important to find little ways to stay energized throughout the day, in order to be positive and productive. Here are some tips that have worked for me:
- In the morning, don’t hit snooze. When you are just waking up, hitting the snooze button makes it harder to rise and shine, and ends up affecting your energy levels all day long. If you are consistently able to wake up on time, it will become a habit, trust me. Get up when your alarm goes off.
- Start hydrating right away, and stay hydrated throughout the day. Drinking water will keep your body performing at it’s top potential all day long, and will help curb things such as migraines and indigestion. Keep a glass of water right by your bed at night, and close by your workspace during the day to stay hydrated, and energized.
- Start your day with a workout, even if it’s just a short one. Exercise is one of the best ways to feel energized for the entire day. If you do a morning workout – be it a brisk walk, jog, or quick bike ride – you are likely to burn more calories and spark an energy boost that will carry you throughout the day.
- Sip on green tea. Although your first instinct might be to reach for that second cup of coffee in the afternoon, go for green tea instead. It is less likely to affect your sleep later that night, and won’t give you that 3:30pm “crashing” feeling.
- Skip the nightcap. After a long day, having a few drinks or glasses of wine might seem like the perfect way to unwind, but alcohol disrupts your natural sleep cycle and can leave you feeling exhausted the next morning. Head to happy hour for an after-work drink, but stop drinking at least 2 hours before going to sleep to get a good night’s rest.
- Get to bed. Quality sleep is the best way to ensure you have energy the next day. Stop watching that one last episode on Netflix and listen to your body. Make sure you are getting at least seven hours of sleep each night, and establish a regular, relaxing bedtime.
What tips do you have for staying energized throughout the day?